Google Chrome, by default, saves a log of every website you visit. If you’d rather not have it, there are ways to fix it.
Google Chrome, like other browsers, saves your browsing history as you browse the web. Every page you visit is recorded in Chrome’s History tab. From here, you (and other users on the same account) can see the pages you’ve visited in the browser.
Thus, some users may prefer to turn off Chrome’s browsing history. And while Google’s flagship browser has an option to clear browsing history, it doesn’t include a specific built-in setting that you can select to prevent it from saving visited pages. Nevertheless, you can still turn off Chrome browsing history with the methods below.
How to Stop Chrome from Saving Your Browsing History with Incognito Mode
Incognito is a special private browsing mode for Google Chrome. When you enable incognito mode, Chrome stops saving your browsing history. You can press the Ctrl+Shift+N keyboard shortcut to activate this mode in Chrome. Then the Incognito browser window shown directly below will open.
Enabling Private Browsing is an easy way to turn off browsing history, but Chrome doesn’t include a built-in option to start the browser in this mode. Google Chrome also stops saving cookies and site data with this mode enabled. If you want to disable browsing history and browse in normal mode, you will need to apply one of the alternative methods below.
How to Stop Google Chrome from Saving Browsing History by Editing the Registry
You can disable browsing history in Google Chrome by editing the registry. This method consists of adding a new Chromium key and Browser history logging disabled DWORD in the registry. You can do this with Windows 11 Registry Editor in the following steps.
- First, press Win + S.
- Type regedit in the Windows 11 search box, then click Execute as administrator to open Registry Editor.
- Then navigate to ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPolicies in the Registry Editor sidebar. Or you can enter this registry path in the address bar.
- Click it Strategies key with the right mouse button and select New > Key.
- Type Google for the title of the new key.
- Right click on the Google key you just added to the registry and select its New and Key options.
- Then enter Chromium in the new key text box.
- Right click on the Chromium registry key and select the New option. To select DWORD (32-bit) value in the submenu.
- Walk in Browser history logging disabled to be the new title of DWORD.
- Double click on the Browser history logging disabled DWORD to bring up an Edit DWORD window.
- Grab 1 within the Value data box and click OKAY.
- Then select to restart Windows from the Start menu.
How to Stop Google Chrome from Saving Browsing History with Group Policy Editor
The Group Policy Editor is an administrative tool that includes some policy settings for Chrome. If you’re using Windows 11 Pro or Enterprise, you can enable a policy setting that disables saving browsing history in Chrome. Here’s how to turn off Chrome’s browsing history with the Group Policy Editor.
- Hurry Win + X and click on Run in the menu that opens.
- To open the Group Policy Editor, enter gpedit.msc in Run and click OKAY.
- Double click Setting up a computer and Administrative Templates in the Group Policy Editor.
- To select Google > Google Chromium on the left side of the Group Policy Editor.
- Double click on the Disable saving browser history setting to open its window.
- Then select Enabled in the Turn Off Browsing History Saving window, and then click the Apply button.
- To select OKAY to leave.
- Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.
Note that you will need to add a Google Chrome template to the Group Policy Editor before you can configure its browsing history. To do this, you will need to download the required template by clicking on Google Chrome Templates ZIP File on the Set Chrome Browser Rules Page. This web page also provides complete instructions on how you can add the required template to the Group Policy Editor.
How to Stop Google Chrome from Saving Browsing History with an Extension
No History is a Google Chrome extension that prevents the browser from saving your page history when enabled. This extension also includes an option to clear Chrome history. You can disable browsing history with this extension as follows.
- Open the No history page.
- Click it Add to Chrome and Add extension buttons.
- Then you will see a No history button on the Chrome toolbar. Click this button to open the extension.
- To select On to disable saving Chrome’s page history.
Stop Google Chrome from saving your browsing history
So, you don’t have to keep manually clearing your browsing history in Chrome. Just turn off Google Chrome to save your browsing history in the first place with the above methods. Then you can surf the web more privately.
How to delete your browsing history on Android
About the Author