This tutorial covers how to make Google Chrome the default web browser for Cortana. We will do our best to make sure you understand this guide. I hope you will like this blog How to make Google Chrome the default web browser for Cortana. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
Check out how to make Google Chrome the default web browser for Cortana
Like any other tech giant, Microsoft tends to tout its internal products against the will of its customers. In April 2017, Microsoft infuriated many Windows 10 users by making its Edge browser the exclusive option to display Cortana’s search results. In other words, if you’re using an older version of Windows than Build 15031 Insider Preview (you probably are), Cortana will completely ignore your browser’s default settings and use Bing in an Edge browser.
I can understand Microsoft’s financial reasons for this decision (Edge and Bing struggle to keep up with their competition), but this decision has angered many honest Windows users. Since then, when you use Cortana to search for something on the web, it automatically uses Bing to search the web and display its contents in an Edge window.
Microsoft’s official reason for the move is that “Bing and Edge are designed to provide end-to-end personal search experiences.” While all other search providers have roughly the same functionality, Microsoft says they can’t deliver the same personalized experience. To me, that seems like an excuse to cover you with personalized ads and paid services “tailored to your needs”, the Bing way.
How to get Cortana to use Chrome
If you want to change the Cortana search engine on your computer, you need to follow the guide and steps mentioned here (let’s take Windows 10 as an example).
Set a default browser
- Open Cortana by clicking its icon in the taskbar (or some other way).
- Type Choose a default browser in the search box.
- Press Enter or click on the result.
- Click the current default browser on the web browser option in the default applications panel.
- Choose Google Chrome from the Choose an app pop-up menu.
- Close the Settings window.
Make Cortana use Chrome
How do I get Cortana to use Google? First you need to download a free tool like EdgeDeflector; then install it and run it to select Google.
- Download the exe file and save it in a safe location.
- Navigate to this executable file and double click on it.
- Click Yes in the User Account Control pop-up window.
- Select a destination folder and click Install.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Select EdgeDeflector in the How do you want to open this window?
- Check Always use this app and click the OK button to confirm the changes.
- Launch a web search in Cortana -> press enter or click on the Show web results option -> search results will show in Google Chrome, which was set as the default browser in step 1.
Configure Cortana to use Google to replace Bing
Although Cortana opens web searches in the default browser, the Bing search engine is still used to display results. Therefore, you should always configure Chrome to open Cortana’s search results on Google.
- Open the Chrome Web Store.
- Type chrometana in the search box.
- Select Chrometana, then click Add to Chrome
- Click Add Extension in the request window to confirm the changes.
- Wait for the action to end.
- Look in Cortana to activate the dialog box that asks How do you want to open this?
- Select Google Chrome and tick Always use this app.
- QClick OK to confirm.
Final words: How to make Google Chrome the default web browser for Cortana
hope you will understand this item How to make Google Chrome the default web browser for Cortana, if your answer is no, you can request anything through the contact forum section linked to this article. And if your answer is yes, then share this article with your family and friends.