IF your Mac opens Yahoo every time you try to surf the Internet, you may have been infected with a computer virus.
Here’s how to beat the bug and get rid of Yahoo search on your Apple Mac computer.
What is Yahoo Redirect Virus?
Yahoo redirect virus is a browser hijacker that forces your computer to see Yahoo as the default search engine.
This malware redirects you to Yahoo via several other websites.
These other websites then receive all advertising revenue from clicks on Yahoo’s website, as well as your internet data and activity.
It’s not Yahoo’s fault, but it’s important that you stop this to avoid damaging your Mac.
How to Get Rid of Yahoo Search on Mac
If you want to get rid of this nasty malware from your Mac then follow these steps.
- Click the Go button in your Mac’s Finder bar at the top of the screen and select Utilities.
- Double-click Activity Monitor in Utilities.
- Look for a process name that looks suspicious. It will be something that seems unfamiliar.
- Select it and click the Stop icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select Force Quit.
- Click the Go button again and select Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents and click Go.
- Delete any recently added files that seem unfamiliar to you.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 for ~/Library/Application Support, ~/Library/LaunchAgents, and /Library/LaunchDaemons.
- Click the Go button again and this time select Applications.
- Delete any apps you don’t recognize.
- Click on the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
- Click Users and Groups, then click Login Items.
- Select the unfamiliar item and click the minus button to remove it.
- Finally, select Profiles in System Preferences and click the minus button to remove any suspicious user profiles.
These steps will remove the underlying cause of the virus, but you should still remove them from your browser afterwards.
How to Disable Yahoo Search in Safari
- Open Safari and click on the Safari menu at the top of the screen.
- Select Preferences and click on the Advanced tab.
- Check the “Show Develop menu in menu bar” box.
- Click the Develop button in the Safari menu and select Clear Caches.
- Then select History from the Safari menu and click Clear History.
- Select All history, then Clear history again.
- In Safari Preferences, click Privacy, then click Manage Website Data.
- Click Remove All – be aware that this will sign you out of some services.
- Restart Safari.
How to Remove Yahoo Search in Chrome
- Open Chrome and click on the three dots at the top right of the screen, next to your Chrome profile.
- Select Settings, then Advanced.
- Scroll down to the Reset Settings section and click Reset Settings on the pop-up window.
- Restart Chrome.